Enjoy a spectacular city tour with your fellow Sweeties capped off by a visit to the Ranfurly Homes for Children and a delicious group lunch. Debauchery and do-goodery at its finest.
Space is limited, so please sign up early. To book your community service project, call Julie at 877.793.3830 or email her at julie [at] discoversweet.com.
RANFURLY HOMES FOR CHILDREN
Sunday, February 19, 2012, 10.30am – 2pm
Meet at 10.30am at the end of the gangway pier
$65 per person (includes city tour, transportation, water and donation)
We’re visiting the Ranfurly Homes for Children, a safe haven for thousands of Bahamian children and teenagers since 1956. At present, they have 17 boys, ages range from 11 to 18, and 13 girls ages from 13 to 18. We plan to deliver wish-list supplies, interact with the teenagers, maybe play a bit of basketball.
We are combining this project with a two-and-a-half-hour private tour of the island. Ranfurly Home provides a safe, structured environment for kids who have been orphaned, abused, neglected or abandoned. Now, it has the capacity to accommodate more than 45 children who range in age from 5 to 20. It’s equipped with three dormitories, a study room, living room, a computer/library center and a kitchen and dining facility.
Participation is voluntary. If you would like to help, but not join us, please bring some wish-list items below. As the sizes of the children vary, the staff suggests we do not bring clothes. Start collecting supplies. No donation is too small.
• Personal hygiene items for teen boys and girls, like gel, shampoo, conditioner, brushes, combs, bands, clips, hair dryers (same voltage as USA) and hand mirrors.
• Toothpaste, toothbrushes and floss (Ask your dentist to donate some toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss.)
• Nail polish and remover. Other manicure accessories.
• Totes and backpacks
• Educational games and books
• Sports gear and hats (Balls can be deflated for ease of transport. We’ll donate a pump to re-inflate them when we arrive.)
• DVDs and CDs (popular movies and music)
• Pens, pencils, markers, notebooks, paper and other school / art supplies.
Tags: Community Service